Friday, September 19, 2008

Obit

RICHARD ALLEN COLLATZ, 40, died Feb. 12, 2003 at a Riverside residence. Born in Hialeah, Fla., Mr. Collatz lived in Riverside 18 years.

He taught math at Riverside Community College for 10 years. He also taught bass in the music department of UC Riverside. Previously, he taught math and physics at La Sierra University and Poly High School, both in Riverside, Palm Springs High School in Palm Springs and Claremont College in Montclair.

Mr. Collatz received a master's in physics from UCR and a master's in math from UC Irvine.

He played stand-up bass with the Riverside Symphony Orchestra, Inland Empire Symphony Orchestra and the Redlands Symphony Orchestra. He was a member of the Musicians Union. He also was librarian for the Inland Empire Symphony. He started Tabula Rasa, a band that played mostly in Riverside and San Bernardino counties.

Mr. Collatz is survived by his parents, Frank and Susan, of North Carolina; and a sister, Laura Barringer of North Carolina.

Memorial services will be private. The Cremation Society of Riverside County in Hemet is handling arrangements.

Memorial contributions: Lake Norman High School Marching Band Uniform Fund in Mooresville, N.C.

I'll miss you, Richard. You left too soon.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was this your physics teacher from your senior year, the one with the "stupid English majors?" Gosh, he was so young!

T$

Unknown said...

hello james

he is missed

thank you for your kind words

laura barringer

James said...

Yes, he was my Physics teacher in High School. Also, he taught me some very useful life skills that I use even today.

Jennifer Stebbins said...

I honestly can’t say I recall that one magical teacher that made all the difference in my life, but I will never forget the one teacher that tried. His name was Mr. Collatz. He was my Physical Science teacher my freshman year of high school. He saw that I was smart enough to be doing much better in school than I was and he always made it a point to encourage me. He gave me a book of his to read - Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah, by Richard Bach. I actually read it, which was rare for me. I knew exactly what he was trying to do and it bugged me! I wasn’t ready to hear the message of the book or accept the responsibility he was giving me. It wasn’t until I returned to school as an adult that I finally reached the potential that he was trying to get me to tap into so many years ago. I can’t really say that he transformed me, but I know that he was trying to, and for that, I will never forget him.

Anonymous said...

Rich was my teacher, band mate, and friend. i played in tabula rasa with him... and i remember many a day playing music together. he dropped a mean bass note. and more than that, he encouraged me to rebel against the machine. remember those days listening to rush, rich? you told me that you lined up when you were young to get rush tickets. rest in peace my friend.