Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Around The World in 80 Days

I have just "read" Michael Palin's "Around The World in 80 Days". Audible has it (and his other travelogues) narrated by the man himself. Now, I am a huge Monty Python and British humor (humour?) in general, so this was kind of a no-brainer pick. I figured it would be a hoot, as the premise is that Palin recreates the itinerary of the immortal Jules Verne characters Phineas Fogg (represented by Palin) and his long-suffering manservant Passepartout (represented by a rotating crew of BBC crew members). Hilarity ensues as Palin attempts to circumnavigate the globe without the "conveniences" available in 1872.

All in all, a very good read. Palin is a wonderful diarist, and it is because of his words that I decided to restart this blog. I can't wait for my monthly Audible credit to recycle, so I can travel to other exotic places with the world's best travel guide.

No comments: