Monday, August 6, 2007

Travelogue: A trip to LA

So the DES team travelled to LA this weekend (as I said), and after the usual travel fatigue wore off, I looked around and saw some cool things, and some not so cool things.

Since I am a cynic at heart, I will give you the bad news first: I did not like my hotel. At all.

First, let me warn you that I am not going to actually tell you the name of the hotel, but you will be able to infer it from my description (and this link).

The architecture is stunning. Like something you would see at Disneyland, or a movie studio. Only real. They have filmed movies and TV in the hotel, and it was the home to the 1st Oscar awards. So, already I'm thinking, "Welcome to the Hollywood Tower Hotel..." from the Disney ride, and that feeling was only reinforced by the room. I have stayed in some jank rooms before, but not at $350 / night! Cracked plaster, peeling wallpaper, and whoever installed the crown moulding really needs glasses.

But dude, the place was built in the 20's! What did you expect?

Well I expected a hotel in business that long to actually have figured out the customer service thing. The problems started upon arrival, as the valet considered the group that was leaving to be more important than the arriving guests. But the group that was leaving was The Cannonball Run! I mean just look at all of the exotic cars, man! Nope, don't care. Just want to get into my room, order some room service, and go to sleep, and that 60 minute valet snafu was not to be the only disappointment with the Mill... er...hotel.

More to come!

No comments: